The main problem the project is tackling with is the need for improving the quality of the community-based social services for people with disabilities. It addresses the issue of role clarification in the process of social services provision between the three main actors (the state, the social service providers and the clients/parents) and the need for quality standards for the social services provision adjusted to the Bulgarian country specific. The project is closing the gap between the theoretical abstract concepts of “human rights” and “quality of life” and the daily practice of the social services provision. By combining the efforts of all relevant stakeholders the project raises the awareness and sets a common language on the fundamental integral concept of quality with its three dimensions – formal, professional and subjective quality. The project’s outcomes are elaborated and put into practice quality standards and practical monitoring instrumentsfor measuring the quality of the social services from the three main viewpoints.
The core activities of the project include:
- Raising awareness on quality concepts and clarification of the three quality aspects;
- Developing an internet debate forum debate forum (http://www.depasarel.bg/forum/) on quality issuesand standards;
- Establishment of thematic consultative groups and carrying out focus groups;
- Presenting the results to all the stakeholders and to the general public.
OBJECTIVES / OUTCOMES AND IMPACT
- 1: Raised awareness, created a common language and fundamental understanding among all stakeholders on the integral issue of „quality“ and the necessity for closing the gap between the abstract concepts of quality and the quality practice of service provision through elaboration of quality standards and indicators.
- Elaboration and putting into practice of quality standards and practical monitoring instruments for measuring the formal, professional and subjective quality of the social services for people with disabilities.
- Empowered people with disabilities‘ voice by introducing the „quality of life“ criteria and with this strengthening their role in the process of decision and policy making regarding planning, development and provision of social support.
The impact of the project is related to:
- Development and implementation in practice of quality standards and monitoring indicators is going to be an important step in the process of improvement of the social system and implementation of the Cycle of Improvement as a necessary element for any vital public system.
- Implementation of the elaborated quality standards in the regulations and in new projects, monitoring initiatives and instruments implemented by the governmental bodies;
- Implementation of the quality standards for the development of the professionalism of services provision as initiative of municipalities and private service providers;
- Implementation by human rights organizations for objective criteria for protection of persons with disabilities dignity and rights;
- The quality standards will be used by parental and user’s organizations as a foundation for development of the social support in the services.
Executing agency: De Pasarel Bulgaria Foundation
Address: 1000 Sofia, 4, Racho Dimchev St., ground floor
Project manager: Miryana Malamin-Siriyski