The European practice shows that part of the solutions related to the demographic situation in Bulgaria requires optimization of human and financial resources in the care for the elderly. In most cases, these are people with chronic diseases and permanent disabilities left alone in their homes. Home care services provided in the project are not a mechanical assembly of medical care and social support. They represent a whole new approach that allows people, despite their illnesses and other hardships, to get old in a dignified manner – in their home, where they have the memories of their whole life. A basic principle throughout the project is the creation of a common platform for collaboration between different stakeholders among them the municipal authorities, GPs, the Bulgarian Association of Professionals in Nursing Care, patients’ organisations and other national and local institutions and organizations.
Aiming at institutionalization and sustainable provision of home care services in Bulgaria, the project envisages active work in several main areas:
- Adaptation of the legislative basis;
- Approbation of the model through the establishment of four Home Care centers in the region of Vratsa;
- Elaboration of national quality standards for the health and social cares provided at home;
- Elaboration of unified training programs for the professionals engaged in the provision of home care services;
- Cost-pricing of the services and elaboration of sustainable mechanisms of financing;
- Inclusion of Roma population in the provision of home care services – both as staff and beneficiaries of the Home Care Centers.
Bulgarian Red Cross
Head of project:
Dr. Nadezhda Todorovska
76 James Bourchier Blvd.
+ 359 2 8164 708