Thematic Fund “Security” is financed under the “Security Fund Agreement” between the Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation, the Monitoring of EU funds directorate of the Council of Ministers of the Republic of Bulgaria, the Ministry of Interior of Bulgaria, the Ministry of Justice of Bulgaria and the Prosecutor’s Office of the Republic of Bulgaria signed on 27th July 2011.
Fund “Security” is part of the Framework Agreement for the Implementation of the Bulgarian-Swiss Cooperation Programme to reduce economic and social disparities within the enlarged European Union, signed between the Swiss Federal Council and the Government of the Republic of Bulgaria on 7 September 2010.
SCO and NCU are the structures responsible for the implementation of the Security Fund. They delegate the management of the Fund to a Swiss Intermediate Body, which is a consortium of three Swiss organizations: TC Team Consult (team leader); Coginta and DCAF (Geneva Centre for the Democratic Control of Armed Forces).
The main objective of the Security Fund is to support Bulgaria in enhancing socially related security as well as in fighting against corruption and organized crimes.
More specifically the Fund is dedicated to:
- Prevention of juvenile delinquency
- Juvenile Justice and prevention of crimes against and/or committed by children
- Capacity building for police officers with regard to respect to human rights
- Capacity building for forensic experts
- Increased capacity in tracing stolen vehicles according to article 100 of the Schengen Convention
- Capacity building of the Association of Prosecutors in Bulgaria in the field of environmental security
- Enhanced capacity of the public prosecutors in combating organized crime, trafficking of human beings and money laundering
- Prevention of trafficking of human beings; reintegration and support of victims of trafficking
The beneficiaries under Thematic Fund Security are: General Directorate National Police, Academy of Ministry of Interior and Research Institute of Forensic sciences and Criminology as subsidiaries of Ministry of Interior; Ministry of Justice, the Prosecutor’s Office of Republic of Bulgaria, the Association of Prosecutors in Bulgaria; National Commission for Combating Trafficking in Human Beings, the Mission of the International Organization for Migration in Bulgaria, Animus Association and Center for the Study of Democracy.
11 projects are funded within the framework of Thematic Fund Security at a total amount of 9 598 457 CHF with a Swiss share of 8 274 412 CHF. Eight projects are implemented by governmental institutions and three by non-governmental organizations.